Saturday, January 19, 2013

Workbench Construction pt. 2

More progress, more lessons learned, including backing the wood you are driving a chisel into (so you don't go through the other side... for the second time), and as always, careful measurement and accuracy are rewarded later.  Bench now needs to have assembly completed, front vise attached, and then further planed flat. Getting close!  This is from Paul Sellers book (and now videos) and it is absolutely ROCK solid.  It doesn't move AT ALL in any direction.  I did thinner skirts than the plan (another lesson learned... don't do as I did, do as he says!) but compared to some of the pre-made benches I have played with at some of the stores, this really does not budge, wiggle, or rock at all...


I want to reiterate that I am a beginner, and this is absolutely my first real woodworking project.  As frustrated as I was at points, I highly recommend the approach of building a bench first because I have learned so many things about various fundamental techniques from layout to glue-up, basic planing and even measurement.  Before I approach a new "finer" project, my basic skills will at least be off to a good start.  I could imagine I would have cheated myself out of some of those basics by skipping to a pre-made bench and jumping right into the finer work projects.  I will likely finish the legs and skirts but at -13 F outside, I think it will need to warm up before I can realistically apply the finish in my garage...

1 comment: