Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sailboat Tiller Part 3

Completed! Three coats of marine varnish. Pretty smooth, the width came out nice. I awoke thinking about making a mock handle to align the bolt holes which I did with a 2x4 first. That made for a much nicer fit. 

Friday, May 2, 2014

Sailboat Tiller Part 2

New sailboat tiller is coming along nicely. Cherry with maple stripe in the center. Shaping is coming along

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sailboat Tiller Part 1

New tiller in progress. I may learn some lessons on why these are frequently horizontally laminated but I think it's most likely for the typical curves. This is a pretty small tiller so I am doing vertical for the nice effect with a hard maple stripe down the center. Cherry sides. We will see how it holds up

Toy Box

This is another design I was inspired to attempt after looking through some catalogs. This is a toy box for my son so we can try to reduce the slow spread of toys across the room/house (fight entropy!) so... This is what we start with:

So far we have a few legs laminated ad the mortises started:
More as we go...

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Boat Repairs

I am into sailing... it's a new passion, and interestingly has offered many opportunities for woodworking, more than I would have imagined :) So the new season is approaching slowly but surely as the frozen gives way to green and sunshine. (little known fact: the movie "Frozen" was filmed in central Minnesota)

So I'm now trying to start repairs on the fiberglass of my boat.  These are the pictures of the areas that need repairs:

First is the bow.  I'm sure this is mostly from poor attempts at putting my boat back on the trailer, which proved much more difficult than launching :)

This one is on the keel... again this was produced when trailering the boat at the end of the season and trying to hit the trailer.  I have already designed some trailer improvements to help guide the keel onto the trailer without banging it around so much.  I plan on adding them when the weather improves.

Finally, the keel fiberglass appears to be in a little rough shape but I'm not sure how much of this is cosmetic vs. damaging, i.e. will the fiberglass pick up water and soften or something?  I'm seeking help on this topic now so hopefully I will post the repairs as I complete them.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Laying a stone tile floor, part 3

Finally, the stone goes down: 

Next is to seal the travertine and grout the tiles. Almost done!

Side note: we somehow crashed a drill during mixing. I suspect a faulty piece of equipment but it looks like a short along the armature of the drill motor: 

Replacement or repair cost as much as the drill, so we replaced it and gave the new one back to the neighbors who loaned it to us (Doh!)

Laying a stone tile floor, part 2

The previous threshold was pretty rotten so it had to go. 

So the new one was placed with significant silicone caulking to seal it up. 

A little damage to the casing from prying out the rotten portion but will have to be fixed up when it is a little warmer. 
Te cement board: